Batangas is often a go-to destination because of the many things you can do here. Plus, it is also accessible from Metro Manila and nearby cities. The province has a rich history and culture that dates back centuries. One of the churches to visit is the Invencion de la Sta. Cruz Parish in Alitagtag.
Alitagtag is also the town where you will find a replica of the True Cross, also known as the “Holy Cross of Alitagtag” that the Spaniards put up. Devotees make their way to this part of Batangas because they believe the cross has mystical powers.
The church has a history that goes all the way to the 1920s. Its façade has intricate designs, columns, and statues. Inside you’ll see beautiful religious icons and paintings. The atmosphere is quiet, ideal for contemplation and prayer.
Mass Schedule and Other Info
For those who want to attend mass here, the schedules are as follows:
- M-T & Th-Sat – 6:00 AM
- Wednesday – 5:00 PM
- Sunday – 6:00 AM / 8:00 AM
FIESTA: The church celebrates its feast day on May 7.
CHURCH WEDDING RATE: If you plan to have a wedding in this church you can contact them through (043) 702 5114 / 0917 874 6345.
How to Get There
From JAM Liner Cubao station, board a bus bound for Lemery that passes by Lipa. Tell the driver or conductor you will alight at the church. The fare is around P220 per way. The trip may take approximately three hours or more depending on traffic.
Attractions Near the Church
After attending mass, Visita Iglesia or other religious activities, you can visit a few places in Batangas.
- Mountains. You can also visit nearby mountains such as Batulao and Maculot. These are two beginner and leisurely hikes for nature-loving travelers.
- Taal Lake. Taal Lake is a relatively near option for adventurous travelers who want an easy few hours’ hike with beautiful views. The trail is straightforward and easy, especially for the fit and experienced.
- Beaches. You can also head to some of the beaches lining the southern coast of Batangas. Anilao is a popular choice for those who would want to do some diving. You can also go on a day trip to one of the beachfront resorts in Laiya.
- San Pablo. Visiting the lakes near San Pablo, Laguna is also an option on your way back to Manila.