Batangas is the place you’ll most likely think of first for a quick weekend getaway either to the beach or the mountains. The province is blessed with beautiful mountains and a coastline rich in marine life and lined with whitish sand. In addition to these, it also has relics of the country’s Spanish colonial past in the form of old and new churches. The Spaniards turned the country Catholic and it is still the widely practiced religion to this day.
The Our Mother of Perpetual Help Parish in Agoncillo, Batangas may not have the centuries-old credentials of other churches, but it is still an interesting place to visit while in the province. Agoncillo used to be part of Lemery but later became its own municipality in 1949. The church’s facade is modern and the interior intimate and serene.
Mass Schedule and Other Info
For those who want to attend mass here, the schedules vary. For updates, you may visit Philippine Mass Schedule.
FIESTA: You can join the festivities of the church’s fiesta if ever you are around on May 21.
CHURCH WEDDING RATE: The church is a possible wedding venue. For inquiries, you can contact them through (6343) 210-2126.
How to Get There
- Batangas and its municipalities are easily accessible by public transportation from Metro Manila. There are plenty of buses traveling from either Cubao or Buendia to Lemery, Batangas. The fare from Cubao is around P220 and the bus from LRT Buendia costs around P211.
- Tell the conductor or driver you’ll alight at Xentro Mall.
- Once at the mall, you can ride a jeep bound for Agoncillo for approximately P10 or a tricycle for around P60.
Attractions Near the Church
- You can visit a number of attractions and destinations from Agoncillo. If you love nature and hiking, Taal Volcano and Lake are nearby. This provides an easy hike with scenic views.
- You can also visit the Taal Basilica which is a short ride or drive from Agoncillo.
- For scuba-diving enthusiasts, head to Anilao in Mabini. There are many scuba shops and resorts that offer lessons, dive opportunities, and equipment for rent.
- Heading north to Tagaytay is another option. The municipality has a number of restaurants, cafes and picnic sites.