Whenever someone mentions Batangas, the first few things you’ll remember are the beaches, diving spots, and the mountains. This province also has a rich cultural heritage that dates all the way back to Spanish times. You’ll see a number of churches that are more than a century old. The Parish of San Isidro Labrador in Cuenca, Batangas, is a remnant of the region’s illustrious past.
The church was established in 1879 and has played an important role in the lives of the locals. They attend mass here, have christenings and weddings just to name a few occasions. Keen observers will see that the church has a hint of Gothic style influence because of the buttresses and arches. The simple facade may not elicit wows from those that see it for the first time, but it is beautiful in its simplicity. The interior sets the mood for an hour or so of prayer, contemplation, and worship.
Mass Schedule and Other Info
For those who want to attend mass here, the schedules are as follows:
- M, T, Th, F – 5:30 AM
- Wednesday – 5:30 AM / 4:30 PM
- Sunday – 5:30 AM / 7:00 AM / 4:00 PM
FIESTA: For those who want to experience a fiesta, the church holds theirs on May 15.
CHURCH WEDDING RATE: You can also have your wedding here. You can contact the church at (043) 342 1279 for inquiries.
How to Get There
- There are many buses departing for different parts of Batangas. Board the one bound for Lemery, Batangas from Buendia. DLTB plies this route regularly. The fare is approximately P130 and the trip can take up to two hours or longer depending on traffic.
- Tell the driver you will alight at Cuenca.
- From this town, you can hire a tricycle to take you to the church.
Attractions Near the Church
- After visiting the church, you can hike up Mt. Maculot. The mountain is also in Cuenca and provides beautiful views of the surroundings from the summit or the “rockies”.
- You also have the option to visit Taal Lake. Taal Volcano is a popular day trip destination because of its easy trail and views of the lake.
- Tagaytay City is another possible addition to your itinerary. Here, you can have a picnic or eat at one of the restaurants and cafes.
- If you have time, go get your scuba-dive license or gain more experience as a diver with a trip to Anilao in Mabini. There are many resorts that offer lessons and rent equipment in Anilao.