Batangas is a popular choice when it comes to a place to visit for the weekend or holiday. The province has many beaches along its coastal towns, mountains that provide stunning views, and dive sites that offer a glimpse of the country’s underwater beauty. Aside from these, the province also has a rich cultural and historical heritage because of the many old churches you’ll see in it. Take the beautiful and historic San Rafael Arcangel Parish Church for example.
Located in the town of Calaca, San Rafael Arcangel Parish Church dates back to 1836. Locals have been attending mass and have held special events in their lives within its confines for more than a century. The local government has renovated but maintained the original look of the church. It has a renovated but classic appearance that emits a distinct charm. The interior is just as charming as the exterior – you’ll see the usual religious icons and paintings that are simple but beautiful.
Mass Schedule and Other Info
For those who want to attend mass here, the schedules are as follows:
- M-F – 6:00 AM
- Wednesday – 7:30 AM (Healing Mass)
- Saturday – 6:00 AM
- Sunday – 5:30 AM / 7:30 AM / 9:00 AM / 4:00 PM
FIESTA: Join the church’s festivities during its fiesta day celebrated on October 24.
CHURCH WEDDING RATE: San Rafael is also an ideal choice for your wedding. Here are the rates:
- Ordinary Wedding: P5400
- Special Wedding: P10,000
How to Get There
- There are regular JAM Liner buses to Batangas from LRT Buendia or Cubao. Fare is around P156+++ from the latter and approximately P197+++ from the former. The bus you need to board is the one bound for Lemery.
- Once in Lemery, you can hire a taxi to take you to the church in Calaca for approximately P250 to P300. You can also look for jeeps bound for Calatagan or Nasugbu. These pass by Calaca.
You can always ask locals for directions and which stops to wait at. The entire trip may take approximately 3 hours or more depending on traffic.
Attractions Near the Church
- After visiting the church, you have plenty of options for forward destinations and day trips. You can spend the night in one of the resorts near the coast of Calaca or you can head further out to Calatagan and see the beaches there.
- You can also have a picnic in Tagaytay or see the traditional homes in the nearby towns.
- Taal Lake is a popular destination for nature lovers because of the views and easy trail.