Batangas is a popular destination for those from Manila and surrounding cities. The province is easily accessible by public and private transportation. Other than the usual beaches and mountains in the area, you can visit many old and relatively new churches. Some are only decades old while others have been around for centuries and have undergone multiple renovations and maintenance work.
The St. John the Evangelist Parish Church in Tanauan is a local landmark in the city. It is a vestige of the past surrounded by all sorts of modern developments such as fast food chains and malls. The church has a beautiful façade with a hint of Romanesque and Renaissance influences. The structures were destroyed in 1944 but were subsequently rebuilt to imitate the original look.
The inside is just as beautiful as the outside with a recessed entrance and elaborate arched windows. You’ll also see detailed statues and pillars. The atmosphere is serene allowing visitors to pray and contemplate during mass and ample quiet time to reflect. The church is also a popular wedding venue because of its stunning exterior and the ambiance of its interior.
Mass Schedule and Other Info
For those who want to attend mass here, the schedules are as follows:
- M, T, Th, F – 5:15 AM / 6:15 AM
- Wednesday – 5:15 AM / 6:15 AM / 5:15 PM
- Saturday – 5:30 AM / 6:30 AM / 6:00 PM
- Sunday – 4:30 AM / 6:00 AM / 8:00 AM / 5:00 PM / 7:00 PM
FIESTA: The fiesta of the church takes place on December 27.
CHURCH WEDDING RATE: For visitors who want to have their wedding here, you can contact them through (043) 778 1036.
How to Get There
- The church is easily accessible by public transportation. There are regular buses from JAM Liner which has a station in Cubao.
- Board the bus bound for Lipa via Tanauan then tell the driver or conductor you’ll alight at Tanauan. Fare is around P156 and the trip can take around two hours or more depending on traffic.
Attractions Near the Church
- After you visit the church, you can visit other attractions nearby. You can go to Tagaytay for a chill day out at one of the cafes or restaurants with a view of Taal Volcano.
- You can also go hiking in Taal Volcano – the hike is easy and OK for beginners.
- Alternatively, you can go to Mt. Makiling for a more challenging trek.