The Parish Church of Immaculate Conception also called the Balayan Church is an old church that dates back to Spanish colonial times. This church is also a declared National Cultural Treasure because of its significance to the history of the province.
The construction of the church began in 1749 and finished in 1759. In 1795, a new stone church was built for the Immaculate Conception. The priests had a new convent constructed in the late 1850s after demolishing the old one. Earthquakes damaged the church complex and led to renovations and reconstructions to restore it in the years after. The church used to have a stone fortification because of pirate raids. You’ll see remnants of this when you visit.
Mass Schedule and Other Info
For those who want to attend mass here, the schedules are as follows:
- Monday – 5:30 AM / 6:30 AM
- T-F – 5:30 AM / 6:30 AM / 5:15 PM
- Saturday – 5:30 AM / 6:30 AM / 5:00 PM
- Sunday – 5:30 AM / 7:00 AM / 8:30 AM / 5:00 PM / 6:15 PM
FIESTA: The church celebrates its feast day on December 8.
CHURCH WEDDING RATE: If you want to get married in Taal Basilica, here are the rates:
- Ordinary Wedding – P4,000/pair
- Special Wedding – P12,000
Note: The church can hold three weddings a day.
How to Get There
- Option 1: From Metro Manila, board a bus traveling to Balayan. You’ll find the terminals for this route in Sta. Cruz, Manila or Pasay.
- Option 2: Alternatively, you can get on a bus going to Nasugbu and then alight at Palico, then board a jeep to Balayan.
- Option 3: You can also go to Lemery first by bus then get on a jeep bound for Balayan.
Attractions Near the Church
There are also several nearby attractions you can visit from the church. Here are some of them:
- Calatagan. If you need a dose of vitamin sea, Calatagan is the place to be. There are beaches and resorts catering to visitors who want a relaxing getaway.
- Taal Lake. Visit the volcano to get scenic views of the lake and landscape. You can also go on a trek.
- Caleruega. This destination is home to the beautiful Transfiguration Chapel. Some other places to visit while here include St. Dominic’s Point, Garden Café and Japanese Garden.
- Mount Batulao. This mountain has rolling ascents and descents which are manageable even for beginner hikers. Add this to your itinerary if you love the outdoors.