The town of Lobo is located on the southern tip of Batangas, facing the Verde Island Passage — a strait that separates the island of Luzon and Mindoro. From the Malabrigo Point Lighthouse viewpoint, you can see nearby Verde Island and vessels passing through the busy strait. It shares borders with San Juan on the east and Batangas City on the west. It is hailed as the “Atis Capital of the Philippines” (Resolution 2011-61, September 2011). The shore of Lobo is uniquely carpeted by smooth pebbles. The town also has mangrove forests and fish sanctuaries.
The St. Michael the Archangel Parish Church is located in Poblacion, Lobo. According to the Oblates of St. Joseph’s account, the parish was established in November 1872 and the original church was first built in 1886. It was reconstructed in the 1970s, replacing the old structure with a concrete one. But this one was destroyed by typhoon Yeyeng and was reconstructed again from 1980-1986.
Mass Schedule and Other Info
For those who want to attend mass here, the schedules are as follows:
- M,T,Th,F – 7:00 AM
- Wednesday – 8:00 AM
- Saturday – 4:00 PM
- Sunday – 7:00 AM / 8:00 AM / 10:00 AM / 4:00 PM
FIESTA: The church celebrates its fiesta day on May 8. The town foundation celebration is on September 29 (Anihan Festival).
CHURCH WEDDING RATE: The St. Michael the Archangel Church is also a possible wedding venue. For inquiries, you may contact the office through this number: 0919 390 5338.
How to Get There
- There are many bus companies plying the Manila-Batangas route such as Jam Liner, JAC, and ALPS. From Buendia or Cubao terminal, take the bus going to Batangas City Bus Terminal. The fare is P140-160 and travel time is two to three hours, depending on the traffic condition.
- Get off at Batangas City Bus Terminal and take a jeepney bound for Balagtas. Tell the driver to drop you off at Lobo Jeepney Terminal. The fare is P14.
- At the terminal, ride a jeep to Lobo. Tell the driver to drop you off at Poblacion. The fare is P50-60.
Attractions Near the Church
- See Malabrigo Point Lighthouse and explore the nearby pebble beaches.
- Go to the beaches of San Juan (Laiya) or the coastal areas of Batangas City.
- If you are into hiking, you can climb Mount Hugom or Mount Daguldol, both located in San Juan, Batangas.